View Single Post
Old 27th July 2006, 06:41 AM   #8
Hawk
Professional user

Smile Re: AC3D Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Hawk / night,

Looks like this was done using edge extrusions --- it's the way I build the head models that I make. Given enough practise with modeling heads, I can see how a model like this could be built in a few minutes. It used to take me a few days to create a head model when I first started, but nowadays, given a front/left view sketch, I can generally push out a head model in an hour or two.

I learned modeling using this method from this page (click the "Index" link for the full body tutorial):

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...farc/head1.asp

This is easily the best edge-extrusion modeling link I've seen. It's for 3D Studio, so you have to just apply the techniques for AC3D --- for example, there are places where the author cuts geometry, but I find it faster in AC3D to keep extruding rather than working with the knife plugins.

EDIT: Actually, my newly-preferred method of slicing geometry is to use the Divide Loop plugin (available in the Plugins section of the forum). I used it extensively on the last edge-extrusion model I built, and it's gained a spot in my AC3D toolbar.
To me ' A few minutes' means something less than 10 minutes, possibly less than five, meaning not a half-hour or hour. Given a face has an eye, ear and mouth, I simply don't believe it is possible to create one in that amount of time, at least not like the one shown, in 'a few minutes'. Unless there is some method that I an not aware of. Which is why I ask. Thanks
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote