View Single Post
Old 26th October 2006, 03:12 PM   #6
CGMike

Default Re: Best approach to low-poly house modeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
To further your non-perfect roof example...

to make it less-than-symetrical, after you've described the basic contour, subdivide it, then grab groups of vertices along the lines leadiing to the center of the roof, and move them up and down to create the effect you want. You can go anywhere from using say four lines on the same Y axis height and move them all together... to creating a falling-apart roof with very random areas where the surface may have sunk in from rain damage or tree strikes.

Or, you can let the computer randomize the contour with the Noise command.

I suggest, as I usually do, getting a copy of the User Guide from the Downloads page of this site and look through it. Not only do you learn more about the various commands, you get ideas about how you might use them, and guidance on how to create types of models you might not be familiar with.
Hmmm... Yeah I figure working with the vertices will come into play.

I think the thing that's making me stumble more is modeling doorways and windows.. I don't just mean holes cut into the base object.. I mean fully modeled and realized doors.. complete with frames, windowpanes, etc. That's why I ask if maybe it's better to leave some things as separate objects. I can't seem to grasp how to work that all into a single contiguous model. It's dumb, because I'd think a house should be easier to model than something natural like terrain, etc because you're dealing with straight lines, flat faces, etc.

For example,
http://www.3d-imaging.co.uk/media/3-d_house_plans.jpg

How would one recreate the model in that picture? Would it really be all one model, or would any part of it be separate 3D objects?

I think what I'm having the worst time with isn't the actual tools to use, or how to use them - I'm usually very efficient in both aspects, once I know what I need to do. What's getting me is determining the actual approach to take in using them.
CGMike is offline   Reply With Quote