View Single Post
Old 17th June 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Re: Texture mapping has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Well, if your texture doesn't change much in layout, just in some significant 'stretching' or 'compressing' of relative proportions.... it should be relatively simple to work from the TCE, in surface mode, selecting groups of contiguous surfaces and resizing/shaping them to fit the slightly different texture.
In the meantime that's what I did. Single surface texture mapping did the trick. For one of the anomalies I did take this one step further--I had to isolate a segment that was OK by splitting up a surface (add vertices, create three surfaces to cover the area and then delete the original surface). When the good section was separated from the bad ones I could then adjust the exact position of pertinent vertices / redefine the texture area for a given surface without affecting the good section.

I have used TCE in surface mode to define semi-transparent window areas and rows of rivets. The beauty of this approach is that one texture spot of semi-transparent will do for any window area and a short row of rivets can be used and reused for the entire fuselage. The downside to dedicated surface texturing is that newly created surfaces may tend draw textures from all over the place. Thus, once we start individual texturing of surfaces the basic texture map as well as the shape of the object ought to be set--once we start doing single surface texturing the global texture map will be "messed up" and we'll have to single texture any additional surfaces that border on previously single textured surfaces.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote