View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:34 PM   #15
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: Make a hole in a surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Capps View Post
When you made the Cylinder, did you "cap the Ends" ?

I've tried it both ways. I was able to get it to work, but it was not obvious and very time consuming. what i did was:
0) set object mode
1) define the cylinder to be the knife.
2) made the conic section to be cut the hi-lighted object
3) used the tools-->knife-->slice surfaces. this told me in bottom status area that a bunch of the lines got cut.
4) pulled the conic section to the side, and I could see the new vertex's on the conic section. I can now see a bunch of vertex's unconnected on the surface in the shape of the circle of the cylinder at the point that the cylinder contacted the surface of the conic section.
5) switched to vertex mode.
6) grouped pairwise vertex's and made them hi-lighted, and then used vertex-->slice surface (<cntrl><shift>L). this made the little line between the the vertexs. sometimes I could grab more than 2 vertexes at a time, sometimes I couldn't.
7) repeated that for all the new vertexs of he circle of vertexes that the knife left behind.
8) switched to surface mode.
9) grabbed the surfaces inside the circle and started to delete them. sometimes I had to delete them twice before it "took". also the renderer got very confused, and when I hi-lighted the inner surface it also hi-lighted the outportion. It took a while for me to realize the the renderer was messed up and not the delete function.

10 I then carefully placed the conic section back on the stack where I wanted it.

I had to repeat this for 9 of the conic sections. this was very time consuming and I assume there must be a faster way of doing it.

this appears to work on the end of the conic section because of the even-ness of the spokes of lines of the circle endcap of the conic section. I made up a solid polygon flat surface and for the life of me I couldn't get the the knife function to leave the new vertex's down on the surface of the polygon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac3d_Image21.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2602  

jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote