View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:17 PM   #17
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: Make a hole in a surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
When forced to create an aperture in a polygon manually (and it's often well worth it, because Booleans usually create a horrible mess!), I often use this tactic:

1) Reduce/simplify the polygon to a single surface.
2) Select the surface in Surface Selection Mode.
3) Surface > Make Hole. Insert or delete vertices among the hole vertices such that the hole has the same number of vertices as you want the hole "cylinder" to have.
4) Create a disk object, with the same number of segments that you want your hole to have. Size/scale the disc to the size of the hole.
5) Drag the disk over the polygon, position and then "Lock:" it so it is visible but non-selectable.
7) In Vertice Select Mode, select the vertices that comprise the inside of the hole you created in the polygon. Drag these directly over the vertice points of your hole polygon.

Basically, you're "tracing" the hole, using the disk object as a positioning guide.

LOL!!! I sorta did that backwards. I tried that with my odd-shape polygon, but the vertex's kept overlapping and being hidden (I'd see a black surface instead of a white one.) So I did it a way I wouldn't have overlapping lines and odd shapes.

1) start with a disk with 32 sides.
2) using the knife with a cylinder of 32 points, cut out the center of the disk making a donut.
3) place the donut so the donut hole is over your polygon where you want the hole.
4) change to vertex mode
5) start dragging the vertex's of the outside of the donut to points on the outside edge of your polygon. when you finish with all 32 you have your original polygon with a hole in it.

you can see that in the far polygon (polygon B) of the last picture I took. That's how I did it.

I was hoping for something less verbose.

Last edited by jleslie; 3rd May 2012 at 07:36 PM.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote