View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:32 PM   #18
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: Make a hole in a surface

I just don't understand why this is so obtuse and difficult (for all 3d software not just ac3d)

I mean ac3d is like 80% there, I can make a specialized "knife" but adding the vertex's to a surface and then making polygons from vertex to vertex is very hard.

That <ctrl> <shift> L works "some" of the time but I can't figure out its reasoning. the error message is ridiculous.

AC3D has one of the best viewers and fly-overs there is, I can see the points of intersection of the knife and the surface. All it needs is for me to be able to "box" an area that frames a point of intersection, let it then add a vertex on the surface in that box, and then I should be able to grab 3 or more vertexes and make a polygon.

If I could just delete or add those polygon lines on a surface and have the ability to add a vertex in an object on the surface, I'd be all set.

For example, in polygon A, above, its some 30 or 40 vertex's that I made into the shape. as a result, is odd shaped, but it has 1 surface. I should be able to grab any two (non adjoining) vertex's and cut the polygon into 2 surfaces by having that "cut line" drawn between the two.

I don't know if I'm explaining that right.

Maybe my problem is the "make a hole is way to complicated, it makes a mess out of my shape. I would be great if "make a hole" worked like the polygon draw button. It shouldn't remake its best guess at what kind of hole I want, but rather just allow me to click on points on the shape and draw a polygon onto the existing shape and when I close the polygon by hitting the escape button, instead of drawing a polygon it removes that portion of the surface for the points on underlying polygon.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote