View Single Post
Old 8th April 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Booleans, Knives, and Overlap. Oh My!

Not sure how well the "knife" tool will work on a 3D object (haven't played with it much).

But, with such simple objects as these, the "long hand" method might be worth a look.

1) Select the roof surface (top) in Surface/wireframe mode. Subdivide the surface a few times.
2) In Vertice mode, arrange the vertices nearest the middle of the surface to align with the "square" in the center formed by the chimney object. Use your viewports to make sure your vertices stay "flush" with the slope of the roof in the side views; that is, don't create any bulges or distortions in the roof.
3) Select unused subdivided areas and merge them to "clean up". The idea is to have only "one square surface inside the square" surface of the roof.
4) Now that you have the shape of the chimney, eliminate that separate chimney object, and instead extract it from the square surface you've formed in the roof. If it's necessary for texturing reasons or whatever, you can always select the surfaces that form the new chimney and create a new object from it.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote