Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th November 2005, 06:02 PM   #11
Jimsupersix

thanks Andy, I'll try the right ALT instead.
Jimsupersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 09:06 PM   #12
Steven
Advanced member

Default Nice!!!

Nice teaser.... some suggestions

1) Where are the bones and other icons to do animation???

2) Also I suggest that the "Recent models" menu in "File" be located under the "Open" menu. It will be much more convenient.

3) Finally I noticed that in version 5.0.21 the main grid separators that divide the screen in four quadrant and next subdivision disapear when I layout an item (object, vertex or surface) or when I want to move it... I wish subdivisions stay visible....

4) A menu dedicated for textures. And to be able to remove (unload) texture that we decide to not use...

5) For those with multiple monitor, that the extra view open automatically on the other dsplay each time we open a new AC3D session.

6) Angles (teta, phi or elevation of the camera) and FOV values displayed for the 3D view... to have a reference of the view we look at... Important when we want to take specific snapshot of our models.

Thanks Andy

Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 12:54 PM   #13
Jimsupersix

It would be very useful to have the equivalent of Max's quickslice function - you select an object, select QUICKSLICE, and then you can click and drag a line across the mesh and when you release (or second click) the mesh is cut across this line. Note that the line ends are snapped to the grid when placed, which is very important - without gridsnap this tool is messy.

In Max it will only slice selected polygons, which is immensely handy for subdividing a mesh quickly. A simliar function in AC3D would be great. I find the knife plugin a little clumsy to use, because you have to create a knife object to cut with, whereas all I really want to do is slice a poly or mesh across an arbitrary plane.

Second addition - it would be very useful if the SMOOTH and FLAT buttons self-selected when you select a polygon, dep. upon what that poly is set to, so you can visually see what the state of the poly is. I use as an example Max's smoothing group selector - click on a poly and if it has a smoothing group then that numbered button will be selected, so you can instantly see what group it belongs to. If you select more than one poly of the same group, the button remains selected. Select more than one poly of differing groups and more group buttons are selected - a very handy visual addition.

Actually, it would be very nice to have multiple smoothing groups in AC3D, rather than just FLAT or SMOOTH. Then you can also add a SELECT-BY-SMOOTHING-GROUP function.
Jimsupersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 08:52 PM   #14
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsupersix
It would be very useful to have the equivalent of Max's quickslice function
I second this one. The knife is effective, but it would be so much easier to be able to drag a line through selected surfaces with your cursor in an Ortho window and have the slices happen that way, rather than creating a new object, switching to Object mode, bringing up the knife, setting it, selecting your polys, then slicing.

When I wrote the knife plugin, I was going for this sort of functionality, but without a way to respond to mouse clicks/drags through a plugin, the knife plugin became the "silver medal" approach...

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 10:24 AM   #15
wsimike

Looking good!

I really like the new icons... very self-explanatory and gives the interface a little more "pizzaz" without making it cluttered.

Looking forward to working with it!
wsimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 07:49 PM   #16
Hawk
Professional user

Default New AC3D

Looking at your teaser image of the new AC3D program, does this mean we shall lose the great and very useful extrude parameters work settings and adjustment input table, meaning being able to set the extrude by distance(S) and extrude by normal. I use this often as it allows spacing the extrusions equally. Thanks
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 12:08 AM   #17
Scotty_Boi

looks nice, but as stated above in a previews post, "what about the bones icon"? I agree, adding a 'bones' feature would allow a much easier flow of movement for the models. Plus, with the already built-in snapshot feature you already have built in, all you would have to do is move the model a little, take a snapshot, move it some more, and repeat. afterwords, put all the snapshots together in a video/gif editing program such as Bink Video (which is free): http://radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm, and you have a nice little animation. So i think a 'bones' tool would be the next logical step. thanks.

-- Scott
Scotty_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 01:15 AM   #18
Thaellin
Professional user

I believe the missing 'extrude' options are actually present when the 'extrude' mode is selected.

-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote