Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 26th October 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
CGMike

Default Best approach to low-poly house modeling?

Hi all,

I feel dumb even asking this question but it's something that I'm sorta struggling with. I'm basically trying to model some low-poly houses for a game engine. Some will have interiors, some won't.

However, what I'm running into a problem with - and I know it's self-imposed - is the best approach to creating them. I mostly model more organic things - like terrain, cliffs and things of that nature (no pun intended). However, things with structure seem to mess me up a bit.

Basically, when one is modeling a low-poly house, or building of any kind really, for use in a real-time 3D game/engine, are they modeled in separate parts? Like.. do you create the main "frame" of the house and then things like roof or support pillars are separate and merely positioned in place?

I'm trying to approach it from a "all-on-one approach" where everything is from the same mesh and it's proving rather aggravating at times.

Just curious what approach some might suggest? Is it better to model homes and such as separate objects?

Again.. very newbish question, I know... but I think I'm probably complicating things for myself more than I need to, so some outside advice would be very helpful..

Thanks!
CGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 12:40 PM   #2
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Best approach to low-poly house modeling?

From my own experience, I usually modelize a building/house in a single mesh.
This way I'm sure to have a proper model base, ie. with no extra and unneeded surfaces.
Then I "cut away object" some surfaces (roof, windows, doors, balconies, chimney, ...) for texturing purposes (except if I 'm using a big texture map for the entire model).
The polycount stays the same, only the amount of vertices increases ... but who cares (?).

Last edited by luuckyy; 26th October 2006 at 12:42 PM.
luuckyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

For a building, I can't imagine you ever doing much besides basic box modeling.

Create a box. Subdivide the box with either Knife tool or surface extrusions. Create window and door apertures with "Make Hole".

Create mouldings and other detail with Indent and Bevel.

Use extruded poly lines for anything odd shaped.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:10 PM   #4
CGMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
For a building, I can't imagine you ever doing much besides basic box modeling.

Create a box. Subdivide the box with either Knife tool or surface extrusions. Create window and door apertures with "Make Hole".

Create mouldings and other detail with Indent and Bevel.

Use extruded poly lines for anything odd shaped.
Hmm... seems like I'm doing pretty much what's been suggested here. For some reason I just seem to run into trouble with certain things.. like creating a roof that isn't a perfect "v" shape, but perhaps has more curve to it, etc...

Guess it's just a matter of practice and, like I said, most of my work is more organic/natural than architectural. So probably just not used to it.

Thanks! :-)
Old 26th October 2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

To further your non-perfect roof example...

to make it less-than-symetrical, after you've described the basic contour, subdivide it, then grab groups of vertices along the lines leadiing to the center of the roof, and move them up and down to create the effect you want. You can go anywhere from using say four lines on the same Y axis height and move them all together... to creating a falling-apart roof with very random areas where the surface may have sunk in from rain damage or tree strikes.

Or, you can let the computer randomize the contour with the Noise command.

I suggest, as I usually do, getting a copy of the User Guide from the Downloads page of this site and look through it. Not only do you learn more about the various commands, you get ideas about how you might use them, and guidance on how to create types of models you might not be familiar with.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 03:12 PM   #6
CGMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
To further your non-perfect roof example...

to make it less-than-symetrical, after you've described the basic contour, subdivide it, then grab groups of vertices along the lines leadiing to the center of the roof, and move them up and down to create the effect you want. You can go anywhere from using say four lines on the same Y axis height and move them all together... to creating a falling-apart roof with very random areas where the surface may have sunk in from rain damage or tree strikes.

Or, you can let the computer randomize the contour with the Noise command.

I suggest, as I usually do, getting a copy of the User Guide from the Downloads page of this site and look through it. Not only do you learn more about the various commands, you get ideas about how you might use them, and guidance on how to create types of models you might not be familiar with.
Hmmm... Yeah I figure working with the vertices will come into play.

I think the thing that's making me stumble more is modeling doorways and windows.. I don't just mean holes cut into the base object.. I mean fully modeled and realized doors.. complete with frames, windowpanes, etc. That's why I ask if maybe it's better to leave some things as separate objects. I can't seem to grasp how to work that all into a single contiguous model. It's dumb, because I'd think a house should be easier to model than something natural like terrain, etc because you're dealing with straight lines, flat faces, etc.

For example,
http://www.3d-imaging.co.uk/media/3-d_house_plans.jpg

How would one recreate the model in that picture? Would it really be all one model, or would any part of it be separate 3D objects?

I think what I'm having the worst time with isn't the actual tools to use, or how to use them - I'm usually very efficient in both aspects, once I know what I need to do. What's getting me is determining the actual approach to take in using them.