Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Edymnion
Professional user

Default Sword of Omens for 3D Printer WIP

My 3D printer of choice (the Buccaneer by Pirate 3D) is getting closer to launching, which means I should be getting my printer in the next several months (I hope!). So, time to start modelling something to actually print with it.

As usual, I've gone for my default testbed item, one I've been boarderline obsessed with since the 80's. The Sword of Omens from Thundercats. Only have the crossguards done so far (and I'm still tweaking them, just started it today), and as you can see from the pegs my goal will be to make these printable so they can be assembled into a finished physical replica. Since the print space is fairly limited (about a cubic foot), everything will need to be broken down into pieces like a resin kit.

Will probably take several test prints to figure out exactly what kind of limits this new medium has (may have to stick in some sprues for printing), but here's hoping I'll have a 1:1 replica hanging on my wall by end of next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image13.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	2911  

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
foxa
Professional user

Default Re: Sword of Omens for 3D Printer WIP

Looks great so far, but I have to ask. How are you going to print the blade

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Edymnion
Professional user

I'll model a slot inside the blade to house a flat metal rod for strength, print it out in 10-12" sections, slide it all together like a chain whip sword, glue it all down, and fill the gaps with epoxy like I was working a resin model kit.

Which is what this will basically end up being, a really big model kit.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
foxa
Professional user

Very creative use of available resources sir, I salute you.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Edymnion
Professional user

Whew, the hardest parts are now done.

Somebody remind me to obsess over a less ornate sword next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	844.6 KB
ID:	2915  

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2917  

Last edited by Edymnion; 22nd October 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Edymnion
Professional user

Oh, and just for the record, thats not a texture on the Eye of Thundera. I carved the cat's head into the surface so that it will print as a recessed slot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	2918  

Old 23rd October 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Edymnion
Professional user

Okay, almost finished with this one.

Exterior mesh just requires the filigree around the base of the pommel and everything will be done.

After that, its just a matter of continuing to break up the sword into printable size pieces. You can see I've already started that, but I still need to section up the blade and pull off the crossguards.

If you're sharp eyed, you may notice that I also have the slot for the steel bar in place as well.

Hoping to have everything completely finished and ready to go by the weekend. Then it'll only be... about 4 months before I get the printer. :P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	2919  

Old 28th October 2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Edymnion
Professional user

So much for getting anything done over the weekend.

Computer problems. Got it up and running for the time being, but order has been placed for a new one (and I'm already drooling over the beast of a machine I've got coming in).

I might even have to find a good rendering software for this one once I get that bad boy in.
Old 30th October 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Edymnion
Professional user

Well, since the board seems to have locked itself into only letting me attach a horrible resolution jpg (despite having deleted it off my HD entirely and uploaded a better png, the uploader keeps sticking the ugly jpg in there, even after restarting the browser), I'll use photobucket.

The image is a little jaggier than before because I'm on a new computer, and for some reason AC3D's anti aliasing is different. Must be a setting somewhere that I can't find, but it doesn't smooth things out nearly as well as my old computer did.
Old 21st January 2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Edymnion
Professional user

The wait to print this is killing me. Printer won't get here until April.

Did have one neat idea that I'm going to have to go out and see if its practical or not.

In the past I have used gold leaf in projects, and I can usually get a pretty nice finish out of it. I need to see if they make silver leaf (I know they make this one), steel gray leaf, and dark iron gray leaf.

My plan? Print the sword out, get it all smoothed and finished, then leaf the entire damned thing with actual metal so that it *LOOKS* like an honest to God metal sword, instead of just a spraypainted piece of plastic.