Poly Count: 10,868
Est. Time: 2 Hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	390
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2990  

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 11:29 PM   #22
Edymnion
Professional user

Default Re: Sword of Omens for 3D Printer WIP

Got the crossguard core tweaked enough that the faceplates will fit onto it (as opposed to the walls of each being exactly the same, which means no way anything was sliding together in a physical print), and got the eye of thundera lens plates done.

First image is the original model next to whats done of the current model (along with the steel rod that will be the core of the print to give it strength), next to a representation of how big my actual print area will be.

Second image is just a money shot to look pretty.

--+edit+--
Interesting, the board seems to have converted the nice clear png for the second image into a blurry jpg. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	378
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3005  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	3007  

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Old 16th July 2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Edymnion
Professional user

Boy, been forever since I've had time to work on stuff. Almost finished the sword kit.

Only things left to model are the center of the hilt that connects everything together, the sheath for the base of the blade on top of the hilt, and to put the gemstone on the bottom of the pommel.

Current poly count: 136.5k polies
Total piece count: 25 printed pieces, 15 rhinestones (modeled in pic for getting the settings sculpted), 1 steel welding rod (for support)
Overall length once printed and assembled: 4'4"

Other than that, my blasted 3D printer has been hit with manufacturing delays. For how cheap I got it from getting in on the ground floor, I can't complain too much, especially since I don't even have the sword done, but soon... soon I shall have my sword...

After its done, I'll have to model up a sheath for it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	3091  

Old 17th July 2014, 12:36 AM   #24
Edymnion
Professional user

Bah, perfectionism sucks when you aren't willing to let yourself be lazy. Pretty much decided to completely redo the pommel, which means the entire grip is getting redone. Which then means the faceplates around the eye aren't going to be good enough in comparison, which means I'll have to redo that inner core as well...

So yeah, basically throwing out everything I did this week and redoing it all because little things that only I would ever see weren't perfect.

Normally my real world projects get to the point where I'm too lazy to start over again and I just make do with what I've done. Having limited physical resources helps there too. Not so with digital. Only thing I waste by scrapping 2/3rds of a project is time...

Below you can see where I've redone the basic geometry of the pommel, redone the rhinestone socket, and started mapping out on the polygons the general shape of where to make the cuts that will become the various nubs, ridges, and ringwork. Pink will be a raised feature, while the blue is the exact wedge that will be rotated 72 degrees each so that I only have to do one set and then rotate it around to get the full repeating pattern all the way around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	3092  

Last edited by Edymnion; 17th July 2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 18th July 2014, 11:18 AM   #25
Edymnion
Professional user

Oh yes, much happier with it now that I sat down and redid the grip and pomel.

Gotta admit that I'm constantly fighting my "less is more" instinct when it comes to just throwing more polygons at it, to the point I have to keep reminding myself that this is going to be printed, more is more and I can never have too many polygons. More polygons = smoother print.

Extra good news once the printer gets in though. A better solvent for PLA plastic (what my printer will use) has been found. ABS plastic will dissolve in acetone (fingernail polish remover), which is cheap and easy to get. Makes it easy to set up an acetone vapor bath to smooth prints out. The only real answer for doing the same in PLA was some fairly expensive and toxic stuff. A recently found alternative is MEK/MEK Substitute, which can be bought at any major hardware store as a paint thinner.

Score!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	3093  

Last edited by Edymnion; 18th July 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 20th July 2014, 02:52 PM   #26
Edymnion
Professional user

And finally finished (again)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SoO 3D Print Model.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	3101  

Name:	SoO 3D Print Model Wireframe.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	3102  

Old 9th August 2014, 11:23 AM   #27
Edymnion
Professional user

Got my printer in Thursday, spent most of that day getting it assembled, calibrated, etc. Spent all day yesterday and all night printing out sword bits (got all of 2 of them printed out, on this max resolution it takes 7-8 hours per piece so far), and its looking good!

(the green ring is 2 part plumber's epoxy, aka greenstuff that I used as gap filler to connect the two pieces together)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10341677_10205007205599674_8879736656661716737_n.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	3122  

Old 13th August 2014, 06:30 PM   #28
Edymnion
Professional user

Looking good, if I do say so myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10427285_10205040802999588_587844077411189802_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	3126  

Old 14th August 2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Wow - that's brilliant. I want a 3D printer...
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:19 AM   #30
Edymnion
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wow - that's brilliant. I want a 3D printer...
I ended up with the FlashForge Creator Pro. Run ya about $1,300, free shipping off amazon.