Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2003, 06:11 PM   #11
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Default Re: few questions

Thanks, for the tips I'm going to try the 2 sided think but I neeed to be a bit clear, they aren't inverted. Maybe try modeling a sphere, then turn normals on every normal is uniformed. The problems I run into are, a normal in the sphere instead of pointing out like the other normals it points down, to the right or left. So I model something and whether I take the mirror or modeling the whole thing approach, I always find some normals pointing in a strange direction and have no idea how it gets that way. The result is in the 3d view it shows up as a black surface and it doesn't render well, as the light seems to be hitting it differently.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 06:39 PM   #12
mconn1
Expert member

Wow, know you have me confused. The only way I have ever seen a normal is perpendicular to the surface. I tried messing with the normals in a sphere like you suggested, but I just can't seem to get the normals to replicate the effects you describe. They are always perpendicular to the surface. Either up or down.

Not that I'm any kind of expert here, but I would really like to see what the normals are doing. If you would like, email me an example of an ac file and I would be happy to take a look.

I have been doing some model making for "Space Station Manager" for a little while and have been of some help to the other model makers in our forum.
mconn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 03:30 PM   #13
Cowboybebop
Professional user

I appreciate the offer but I won't send you my model. I'll post a picture of it though. I got rid of most of the problems by getting rid of the surfaces and mending the character. So Let me get my webspace working and I'll post a pic or 3.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote