Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 19th August 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
DaveS
Expert member

Default AC3D View problems

Hey.

I just wanted to report a couple of problems I have with AC3D. Those problems are illustrated in the screenshot below. The rectangles inside the shuttle payload bay are EMI covers for the payload bay vents and are supposed to be dark grey but in AC3D they appear in a dark green color.

The second problem is that the payload bay radiator panels are transparent so you can see the insides of the payload bay doors. This problem is the large rectangle in the image. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with either the texture or material.

It would be great if these problems could be fixed!

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Question Re: AC3D View problems

Lovely model!

Check for extra vertices in the dark rectangles - AC3D may be having trouble triangulating them or they may be non-planar rectangles that are causing problems with normal calculation. Perhaps triangulate them just to make sure. It could also be a material problem e.g. odd settings for shininess or something else.

For transparency to work, move the transparent object to the end of the model hierarchy (so it's drawn last).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
DaveS
Expert member

Default Re: AC3D View problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Check for extra vertices in the dark rectangles - AC3D may be having trouble triangulating them or they may be non-planar rectangles that are causing problems with normal calculation. Perhaps triangulate them just to make sure. It could also be a material problem e.g. odd settings for shininess or something else.
The dark rectangles are actually part of the main payload bay mesh/texture. And it is as simple as it possibly can be. It's a simple "U" shape where the outside of the "U" doesn't have any faces/triangles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
For transparency to work, move the transparent object to the end of the model hierarchy (so it's drawn last).
The problem is that it isn't supposed to be transparent. It's supposed to be opaque.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D View problems

If send me a .ac file with the problem parts in it and I'll take a look.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote