Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th September 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Default Scaling Issue for SketchUp Models Imported to AC3D

Hello,

I just completed my first experiment using AC3D to animate an object I had created in SketchUp, converted to Collada, imported to AC3D, animated, and exported to X-Plane.

Overall, the results are promising. The animated object is a tail hook for a naval jet. And, yes, it does rotate down and up as it should, using the taillhook button on the instrument panel or key on the keyboard.

One small--or large--problem: The tail hook developed in SketchUp is exactly proportioned to the size of the plane. However, the animated tail hook exported to X-Plane from AC3D is enormous, many times the size of the aircraft.

I found that I could get the tail hook to the correct size by rescaling it in AC3D to about 2.6 percent of its original size in AC3D. I still would like to know if there is a way to avoid having to do this. If that percentage is consistent for all objects imported from SketchUp, I can live with it.

Did I miss something in the process of exporting from SketchUp to AC3D or from there to X-Plane?

Bill
Old 4th September 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Scaling Issue for SketchUp Models Imported to AC3D

Did you have Sketchup set to imperial units? If you used Collada .dae, you can look at the file and see if a unit is specified.

AC3D units are non-specific but for X-Plane, I think it's usually 1 AC3D unit = 1m.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Re: Did you have Sketchup set to imperial units?

No. Everything (e.g., Dimensions and Tape Measure tools) read inches and feet.

Re: If you used Collada .dae, you can look at the file and see if a unit is specified.

I opened one of the .dae files in Notepad. I skimmed through the first part, but it didn't show me anything about dimensions. Is there one or more words I should search for?

Re: AC3D units are non-specific but for X-Plane, I think it's usually 1 AC3D unit = 1m.

In the X-Plane.org forum, someone suggested that what I estimated as 2.6 percent might actually be 2.54, as in how many centimeters equals one inch. Does that suggestion make sense?

A closer examination showed me that 2.6 percent does indeed create a slightly larger object than the SketchUp original; for example, 4.93 inches long versus an original 4.87 inches.

This is new territory for me, but you can tell that from my questions.

Bill
Old 4th September 2012, 02:02 PM   #4
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Update: Just finished a sliding canopy that needs to match up perfectly with the front frame section. The front frame is a SketchUp object and the sliding part is, of course, animated in AC3D.

I used the 2.54 figure mentioned previously, and the match appears to be perfect.

All is right with the world! Well, maybe not all....

Bill