Advanced member

Default Re: New AC3D X-Plane plugin

That's awesome, thanks Andy!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 02:49 PM   #12
vortizee
Advanced member

Default Re: Latest AC3D X-Plane plugin

Downloaded Mac version, purchased license, installed plugins into bundle, moved folder to Applications/, right-click-selected Open and… it doesn’t launch. Is there a Mac OS version requirement or something?

Incidentally, the folder contains the app, three txt files (README, LICENSE, CHANGES), a models folder, and what looks like an archive called ac3d8080mac.tgz. What’s with the last one?
vortizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 02:55 AM   #13
captainpeter
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortizee View Post
Downloaded Mac version, purchased license, installed plugins into bundle, moved folder to Applications/, right-click-selected Open and… it doesn’t launch. Is there a Mac OS version requirement or something?

Incidentally, the folder contains the app, three txt files (README, LICENSE, CHANGES), a models folder, and what looks like an archive called ac3d8080mac.tgz. What’s with the last one?
The .tgz is not necessary. (it contains no files)
8.0.80 is the current version. If you right-click and select 'Open' the Finder should at least come up with a message to confirm opening an unsigned app.

Do you have admin rights on the computer? What is your OS version?

Have you tried running AC3D before adding any plugins?

cheers
peter

The X-Plane Freeware Project
captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 03:03 AM   #14
vortizee
Advanced member

It’s an OS thing. It definitely doesn’t run on my 10.9.5 no matter what I try — seems to need 10.10 or newer. It does work on Sierra. Unfortunately that’s an OS I only use for limited testing of my apps subject to a computer upgrade.

What is a bit disconcerting — on another topic now — is the need to open app Contents to place plugins and Datarefs/Commands text files in the plugins folder, seeing as the text files are updated more frequently than plugins. But that’s not such a big deal.
Old 25th May 2017, 03:45 AM   #15
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

AC3D 8 works fine under 10.6.8 here

We work hard to provide compatibility with older Mac OSs. This is despite Apple forcing developers to stop supporting older systems and essentially requiring developers and customers to update their hardware. It is becoming more and more difficult to work around though.

Another difficulty is Apple's move to pushing independent developers to release their software via their App store. Whilst you could argue that this is good for security, a cynical view might be for the control that Apple has over the software and for the cut it makes selling it.

Recent OSs simply won't run a program that tries to access anything outside it's app bundle. This is why lots of the AC3D supporting files (e.g. plugins, datarefs etc) had to be moved inside the bundle. You may notice that it's quite hard to open AC3D for the first time - you might need to open it from a popup menu. This is because it's not come from the AppStore.

The compatibility problems you are seeing may be a result of the unzip/untar tools. Perhaps try using a third party decompressor if you have problems. Let us know how you get on. (Sorry about the long message)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 06:22 AM   #16
vortizee
Advanced member

No problem, I’m not a fan of the App Store too. The unzipped app works in Sierra so I wonder why it refuses to launch in 10.9.5 then — I should be able to figure it out if it works in 10.6.8 (wow)! Perhaps there’s a backup somewhere that’s confusing the OS. I’ll play around with it some more. In any event, I’m happy to support Ac3d with the update.
Old 25th May 2017, 06:28 AM   #17
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Check the console for any errors when starting AC3D.
Old 25th May 2017, 06:29 AM   #18
vortizee
Advanced member

Will do, thanks!
Old 26th May 2017, 01:16 AM   #19
vortizee
Advanced member

No joy in 10.9.5. Console:
3:12:13 pm com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: (com.inivis.ac3d.8080368[662]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap: 6

Tried with different extractors.
Old 26th May 2017, 06:15 AM   #20
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Is that the first message from AC3D? If so, it's not much help.

You could try running it from a Terminal. 'cd' into ac3d/ac3d.app/macos/contents and start AC3D with "ac3d -debug".