Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th September 2008, 01:45 PM   #1
KenR

Question Jagged Zig Zag edges on the top and bottom of a TGA texture

I recently tried this program and was looking into buying it. I made a simple heart. I saved it and looks great in AC3D. When exporting as a Secondlife TGA file(tried both options) I get a jagged edge or best described as black cut zig zag edge on the top and bottom of the file. Is this a bug in this program? Is this intentional? :?
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 04:26 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Jagged Zig Zag edges on the top and bottom of a TGA texture

It sounds like most likely a problem with your UV map. The sculpty exporter uses your uv map to form a skin around the model, more or less. If this skin doesn't cover everything correctly, it may not sample the surface of your model right.

On the tools menu, click Texture Coordinate Editor to open the TCE. Make sure there are no holes or gaps in the map, and that the map fills the entire space. Sometimes it is helpful to select all the surfaces in the TCE to see them better, or apply a utility texture to your model to make sure your map is applied correctly.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 01:11 PM   #3
KenR

Ok I see where the UV map has the jagged edges to begin with. I am trying to cover the entire area but seem unable to figure out how to remove the zig zags.. I will reply shortly after more testing

Last edited by KenR; 5th September 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 5th September 2008, 01:46 PM   #4
KenR

Unhappy Re: Jagged Zig Zag edges on the top and bottom of a TGA texture

well it seems I was able to expand the map to cover the layout but now the heart has a flattened bottom and a few areas missing the correct shapes.
Old 5th September 2008, 02:23 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Is anything overlapping on the map?
Old 5th September 2008, 02:48 PM   #6
KenR

Unhappy Re: Jagged Zig Zag edges on the top and bottom of a TGA texture

the UV extends past the box in order to drop the jagged edges.. but the jagged edges i overlapped out of the box contained the info that got cropped off in the sculpty. I do not know how to turn the jagged triangles into boxes and have become a bit frustrated.

I am not sure why an export to a SecondLife sculpted map would have the UV with jagged edges or why I need to repair the edges if it should be a square UV map. I tried with a default 3d shape and exported as SL and noticed the jagged edges there.

Last edited by KenR; 5th September 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:04 PM   #7
lisa
Professional user

There are some default shapes that come with the exporter; these already have the edges fixed.

The reason the uv map matters is because the exporter uses the map to determine where on the surface of the model to sample in order to make the sculpt map. It basically does exactly what the Second Life viewer does, but in reverse. (The SL viewer takes a map, and uses it to displace a sphere into your shape. The exporter on the other hand reads the texture coordinates to make a map, and figures out what value it would have to write to make your model back into a sphere.)
Old 5th September 2008, 06:43 PM   #8
lisa
Professional user

I just posted a tutorial, hopefully it will answer some of your questions:
http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5025
Old 5th September 2008, 07:47 PM   #9
KenR

Cool Re: Jagged Zig Zag edges on the top and bottom of a TGA texture

Is there a way to save as Secondlife sculpted texture without having to recreate/work the map? I love this program but seems I have come to a standstill regarding this issue. If I save as SL texture/sculpt the program should assume the SL map is the one I need without creating jagged edges. I shoud not have to do all the sidework when there is already a save as option referring to SL. Maybe the next version of the program will include the corrected SL map to use and reduce the learning curve on the program. I am sure I would have bought this application and others would too. There is a possibility others are having the same problem and not getting the answers and just not even bothering to post a bug/problem/issue. I am playing with Rokuro at this moment but think if this program had the correct map on "save as SL" it would be way better than this other application I am using.

Last edited by KenR; 10th November 2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I am unable to post follow up on the thread
Old 8th September 2008, 07:05 PM   #10
lisa
Professional user

Picture link appears to be missing?

Tags
corrupted output, jagged, second life, secondlife, zig zag